Jul 14, 2007

Dinner

Tonight I made an impromptu dinner, kind of on the fly. I sliced an eggplant and fried the slices in olive oil. While the slices were draining, I cooked a quick tomato sauce using a finely chopped tomato, minced green olives, a clove of garlic, half teaspoon of salt, a dash of cumin, and 1/4 cup of really good dry red wine. I stirred that and cooked it until it was well incorporated and thick, and then tossed in a couple of pinches of oregano. I turned off the fire and let it rest a moment while I sliced a local cheese and arranged the slices into a stack, alternating slices of eggplant with slices of cheese. Then I covered the stacks with the tomato sauce. We ate it with fresh crusty bread and a small glass of the same good red wine that I made the sauce with.

Simple, tasty, filling, and fast. YUM!

No comments: