Aug 13, 2007

Lunch For A Wild Tomato

Tiradito, the younger brother of ceviche, has only become well-known in the last 20 years or so. Its origins can be found in the approach of Japanese immigrants to eating raw fish, though some suggest it's closer to Italian carpaccio, popularised earlier in the 20th century by Genovese immigrants.

Two are the main differences between them: the cut and onions. While ceviche is cut in bite-size cubes and comprises a generous amount of onions, tiradito is sliced in fine, long pieces and carries no onions.


Ingredients:

600g of white fish (sea bass, flounder, grouper, sole, etc).

Juice of 15 key limes

1 mild chile pepper seeded, deveined, and finely diced

4 tbsp ají amarillo paste (medium to hot chile paste)

1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped

1 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro

Salt and pepper

Preparation:

Make a dressing with the lime juice, diced pepper, ají amarillo paste, ginger, salt, and pepper. Set aside (preferably in the fridge).

Slice the fish into fine, sashimi-like pieces (stripes about 6cm long, 2.5cm wide, and 1,5cm thick). Place in a cold serving dish, the pieces on a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Cover with the dressing and serve immediately. As with ceviche, tiradito can be garnished with sweet potatoes and boiled corn grains, yuca or clean, edible seaweed.

4 comments:

wildtomato said...

Thank you! This recipe is just perfect - I'll poke around for some fresh white fish. Corn is in season, too, so I'll roast some and serve it alongside the tiradito. I just so happen to have at least 15 key limes, too.

It's interesting that this dish is served right after the acid is added to the fish and that there are no onions. This is very different than ceviche. Like the recipe says, this reminds me more of the Japanese sashimi.

I'll post a picture on my blog when I make this! Thanks again!

Stacy

Kathleen said...

It is different than ceviche...of the ceviche that I've had, most of it is marinated for a litle while in the lime and salt, and the fish turns white, as if cooked over heat. The tiraditos are definately more along the raw lines, with the sauce poured over it just before serving, and not stirred, either. This recipe is for the tiraditos nacional, but there are multitudes of recipes for tiraditos, just as there are umpteen variations on ceviche.

I hope you enjoy this one! And yes! Please do post a photo of your creation!

Suffolkmum said...

You have inspired me to have a go ....

One Little Birdie said...

damn, that sounds really good. I wish we had an ol fashioned fish monger here that I could trust. I will just have to live vicariously through your blog until my next sushi fix
sigh