Nov 22, 2008

What's the Haps?

WOOOT!!! Look what came in the mail the other day:



This is the only Nicky Epstein book that I have, and it's a beauty! I didn't realize that it was a hardback until it arived and, at first, I thought "Great - a coffee table book," with some disappointment. But after cracking the cover open, I realized that I was wrong.

Wow. The patterns are great. The pictures are great. The inspiration is non-stop. It's true that there are patterns in this book that I'll probably never make, at least in the form that they are presented, but what great ideas!

And I have been spinning some lace weight singles.



I plan to use them in a shawl. Originally I was spinning for the Mystery Stole #4, but decided against it. I'm not up to spinning 1100 yards of laceweight all in the same year, but I do think I can pull off 600 yards. I've done about 100 yards so far in this teal romney and silk, with another spindle filled with about 150 yards. I've started on the second spindle today, but only have about 25 yards on it so far.

So the shawl that I'm spinning for now is the Garden of Alla shawl. I haven't decided if I will edge it in a contrasting color or not, but I've got 12 more batts worth of time to think about it before I have to make a decision. I don't really like the edging on the shawl shown in the pattern.

I'm thinking about beading it with clear crystal beads, too. They're supposed to look like raindrops on the yarn.

I'm still spinning on the Bundaflicka tweed that I was going to use for the Mystery Stole, but I'm re-thinking the project for it.

6 comments:

aighmeigh said...

I took a gander at your flickr photos and you are amazingly talented!! i love the colors you work with too! You and La Gringa are some serious inspiration to get back into finding my creative/artistic side.

Michelle said...

That laceweight is such a beautiful color!

Kathleen said...

Oh pashaw, you two are making me blush!

knittingdragonflies said...

I love the idea of the beads. How original, I think it would be beautiful.
Promise you'll include some pics if you do.
Love the color of your spinning!
Vicki

Maggie's Farm said...

Omigosh, you can knit like that???? I am REALLY impressed! What a talented person you are...and nice, too!

Kathleen said...

The photo of the shawl that here is the example photo...I didn't knit that one, but I'm spinning for one. I'm GOING TO knit like that, just as soon as I have enough yarn spun to do it...216 yards down, 384 yards to go...