Dec 9, 2009

Navajo plying video

I've always wondered about navajo plying. I've heard about it, read about it, and wondered about it, but never have seen anyone actually do it. I knew the principles but not the mechanics. Here, finally, is a pretty clear illustration of nevajo plying on a spinning wheel:



Since I don't have my wheel with me, I'll have to fiddle around with a spindle to see what I can figure out. I watched other videos that show navajo plying with a drop spindle, and all of them seemed very tedious and labor intensive. So much stopping the spindle, sticking it in an armpit, hooking it and putting the strand around the shaft...in short, nothing easy or smooth about it. If it's really that difficult, I think I'll just stick to my regular plying technique and bypass the navajo method.

2 comments:

Iron Needles said...

I have set my mind to try this, and this video is the best example I have seen. Thanks for sharing!

Margaret Cloud said...

Stopping by to say hi and see how you are doing. As you already know I do not know a thing about knitting. Give Celeste a hug form me. Checking to see when you all are coming home.