Feb 2, 2009

Some Beginnings and Some Endings

Okay. Now that the laceweight romney has been spun, I have started to wind it into center pull balls so I can cast on the Seascape stole. I have 810 yards and still have about an ounce and a half left of unspun batts...which is okay since I ran out of fiber to finish Tai's garden socks and need a coordinating yarn for the toes.

Anyway, I am so tempted to go on a discourse about my first real lace weight yarn, but just let it be known that I am completely THRILLED with it! I'll be casting the stole on today.

I'm still spinning the Earth Tweed from Maggie's farm. I think I have about 250 yards of singles, and have begun a second spindle. It's not laceweight - more like fingering weight, I think, but I probably won't know until I get it plied. I've been revising my ideas about what to make with this yarn, once it's finished, and I'm leaning towards a lacy, long-sleeved shrug. For this shrug, I'll need 750 yards.

O and I had quite a discussion this weekend. I'm pretty done with people telling me every time I step out of the apartment that I'm going to get robbed because I'm a gringa. I'm sick of constantly looking over my shoulder and clutching my purse to me like a hunted animal. Everyone talks to me like I'm a robbery just waiting to happen. No, I don't want anything to happen, of course not. I don't want to get robbed, but I also want to move about the city with confidence and freedom from fear. O admitted that as long as we live here freedom and confidence are probably not going to happen. Robbery most likely will. You know, I can take the heat, the bugs, the dirt, the stinking toilets, and slum-like conditions of almost the whole city. I could live with that. But I will not live with the constant threat of being attacked and robbed. I work in one of the most dangerous areas in Lima, specifically Jiron Cuzco, where the institute I work in is located. Thank God I don't live there. O has been mugged and beaten several times since coming to Lima. Last time he was pistol-whipped for his cell phone and 5 soles (about $1.75). Most people who live here have been robbed or subjected to violence in some way. They have become accustomed to it and accept it as fate. I'm sorry, I can't do that.

So, we have decided that I have one more year here and then my Peruvian adventure will come to a close. The good part is that O's Amazing American Adventure will begin! He has about that much more time in university classes to complete and then he'll be ready. That decision lifted a huge weight off my shoulders and, unfortunately, planted the weight on O. He spent the rest of the day researching the US and finding all kinds of terrifying info about tornadoes, snowstorms, floods, and forest fires. I kind of added to it when I said that there were all kinds of wild animals that lived not that far from our house in Cheyenne. Saturday night, he dreamed about moving to Cheyenne, and Sunday we talked some more. He looked stressed all weekend, but this morning, I think he's better.

So, next year, I should be returning to my little "House of Rogue Tufts" in Cheyenne, where the wind always blows and the grass grows long and the antelope live just a few blocks away...along with the rabbits, raccoons, skunks, coyotes, bison, and deer. And of course, the cattle. It is cattle country, after all.

11 comments:

Iron Needles said...

That must be so exciting for you. I can't imagine the differences between here and there.

Well, I can't imagine the differences between Ft Collins and Cheyenne...

Michelle said...

Oh! Hurray for you; you get to come home! I do feel for O, though, as being here in the US will be as hard for him as being in Peru has been for you. But hopefully in SAFER ways, despite his fear of wild animals and natural disasters. (I'd rather deal with those than bad humans ANY day.) Will pray that you both make it through your final year without any encounters of the criminal kind....

Pondside said...

I imagine you must be feeling very happy to have that date ahead of you - 365 days and counting down.
I loved visiting Lima, but couldn't imagine living there - all of the things that you mention, and then the armed police everywhere. Not a relaxing atmosphere at all, although you are sure to miss many things - and that's as it should be after an adventure.
Of course, once you and O are on the continental US I'll expect you to plan a trip up to the Pacific Northwest!

Rani said...

Oh give me a home

Where the buffalo rome

wait, can't you spin that buffalo into some sweet yarn!?

aighmeigh said...

That has to feel absolutely wonderful! :) I'm so excited for you!!

I never realized that kind of violence was that common around those parts--it would certainly make it difficult to fully relax and enjoy your surroundings...

Margaret Cloud said...

Kathleen, I hear a song in your last paragraph, I am sorry you live in fear of being robbed. I hope your last year is a safe one and will be glad when you can come home, I know O will like it once you are here.

Maggie's Farm said...

Thank you Mother Mary! Tell O it's doubtful that any wild animals in our Wild West will do something as awful as pistol whipping. Yikes! I can't imagine such a thing! So glad you're getting out of there!

Karen said...

Lucky you, getting to move back to Cheyenne. I'm pretty sure I could live there happily! Sending good thoughts your way for a safe year ahead.

kitkatknit said...

Silly me, I've never tried spinning Romney at lace weight. And here it's some of the easiest out there to spin. I think I'll be trying that as my next project!

Margaret Cloud said...

Kathleen, thank you for coming by and leaving a comment.

knittingdragonflies said...

I can't imagine how good it will feel to come home. Until then, I throughly enjoy hearing about the culture where you are now. The good and hope there is no bad experiences for you.