Oct 3, 2012

While I was in Iquitos, I had the opportunity to eat Paiche. If you click on the link, you'll see that Paiche is one of the largest freshwater fish in the world. Although it is said to be on the verge of extinction, it is widely available in restaurants on the Peruvian Amazon.
In this photo, the fish is as large, if not larger than the man carrying it. There are several places near Iquitos that raise Paiche, and it is being successfully farmed. I have to say that Paiche is one of the few fish that I enjoy eating without being prepared in ceviche. It just figures. A nearly extinct fish that isn't available anywhere near Cheyenne. The paiches I saw in the domestic fish farms in Peru were just babies, no more than 4 feet long. So here's another picture that I ganked from the internet:

2 comments:

wildtomato said...

The thought of gutting that fish makes me shudder!

Rani said...

Holy #$%@ - that is amazing!! I've never heard of it - my "men" will find this fascinating - they love to fish.