Dec 17, 2011

A year in a cookbook...really?

I don't know. I saw the Julie & Julia movie and liked the idea. And I have to make out a new menu each week for my assisted living house. I have reached the point that my creativity has pooped out and I'm repeating my same old standbys every week. Now that I've noticed it, I've begun to search the cookbooks for fresh ideas and dishes. There are 2 books that I seem to always come back to: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution and Gordon Ramsay Makes It Easy. So, maybe I won't be cooking one recipe from one of these cookbooks every day, but I will be using both these books, and probably some more, on a regular basis. The problem is that I can't assume that the guys will like the taste of what I cook, even if I successfully execute the recipe. They are the ultimate "man and a can" dudes, preferring the taste of instant mashed potatoes and mushy canned veggies to fresh produce. I discovered right after I started working at the ranch that they didn't enjoy fresh garden vegetables or fresh meats. Seriously. Given the choice between ramen noodles over instant mashed potatoes and roasted root vegetables and stuffed pork chops, they will go for the ramen and instant every time. I wonder if it's all a matter of educating the palate and getting them used to fresh, clean flavors and vegetables that haven't been cooking into flavorless mush and non-plastic cheese. So here I go on my cooking odyssey - starting with a shepherd's pie. Pork, carrots, green beans, garlic, and onions in their own juices and topped with REAL mashed potatoes. Wish me luck. They're a tough bunch.

5 comments:

Pondside said...

Good luck with that! Just imagine if you made something from a Peruvian market food stand!

wildtomato said...

Good luck! I think it is a matter of re-educating their palates. Fake food makes up for its fakeness with loads and loads of chemically produced flavors. To learn how to eat real food again does take some time when your taste buds are used to being assaulted.

Cait O'Connor said...

Good luck.
I loved the film too (and the book).

Rani said...

Another idea for you (hi, by the way. I've been gone awhile) get the Food Network magazine. It is FULL of really good recipes (my kids will eat it).

How the heck are you, by the way. I have a lot of catching up to do. . .

KathyB. said...

I am wondering how things are going. With such die-hard tastes for the easy and mundane it might be a hard challenge you have given yourself.