May 20, 2010

Heading Up North!

Today is our last full day in Lima. Tomorrow evening, we take flight out of Lima, heading for Denver by way of Miami and Chicago. I'm hoping for coolish weather in Miami, so Celeste can travel with us. That's why we're heading to Chicago - it's an earlier flight than the direct flight to Denver, and I know that if it's too hot or too cold at any point along the way, dogs can't travel.

Celeste is confused and worried. Her whole world was dismantled throughout the week and sent away to the house in Trujillo this morning. The only familiar thing left in the apartment is her own crate, and even that is probably too new for her to like just yet. Her old one was dismantled and sent to the trash, since it was made of wood and not up to airline standards. When the guys came this morning to pick up the furniture, she stood watching and following them around as the took things out and put them in a truck, checking with me once in a while to make sure it was okay for all this to happen.

I finally found a veteriarian who didn't try to swindle me, and Celeste now has all her paperwork, certified healthy and fit for travel and entry into the US. I know it will be a tough trip for her, having to be alone in the cargo hold through the entire journey. I looked for a dog toy for her that might make her feel a little better, but couldn't find a single squeaky toy anywhere. Maybe tomorrow I can find something fuzzy and soft in a pet shop in San Miguel.

I stopped working a week ago and my entire attitude has changed! Not that I hated my work - on the contrary, I enjoyed the work. But not having to pass through downtown every morning to see the drunks sleeping it off and the homeless begging for anything has made a huge difference for me. (A nice little severance package helped my attitude a bit, too!) I know I'm not cut out to live in a big city like Lima. So it's back to Cheyenne for me; O will be coming this time, but only for a month. Then he has to return till December, when his military commitment is up. He's got some options to consider and some things to compete, so he'll have about 6 months to get that stuff done.

So, the next time I update here will probably be from my sister's house in Colorado, where we'll be staying for a little bit, till I get the furniture put back in my house in Cheyenne.

Hasta la vista!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

How exciting! I do hope Celeste can travel with you so you can be there in Denver to welcome her to the states and reassure her. Can't wait to hear about the return adventure!

Sharrie said...

Best wishes for a uneventful trip for you and Celeste. She will probably do just fine. Welcome back!

Pondside said...

Have a great trip, Kat - wishing Celeste a good journey too. When Cheyenne has let you settle in, one day you'll have to head farther north for a visit up here.

marit said...

Good luck on your move!!!

knittingdragonflies said...

How exciting and stressful! May your trip be calm and happy! I hope Celeste travels well!
Can't wait for you to get back to the states!
Take care
Vicki

Iron Needles said...

Safe journey, and welcome back to Colorado!

Rani said...

Happy traveling, my friend and welcome home :-)

marit said...

Hi, I hope your move went well, and that you are settling in nicely:-)