Oct 18, 2009

The Men's Room

Public bathrooms here in Peru are not desirable places. Practically all of them reek of bodily waste. It's expected to be so here, but honestly, it disgusts me. I assumed (erroneously) that it was from the fact that the Peruvian sewer system is not set up to handle toilet paper, so the used paper is dropped into a trash can next to the toilet. Most of the time, it is dropped into the trash can...sometimes the aim is bad, and it lands on the floor...also a disgusting fact about Peruvian public bathrooms.

So when my own bathroom began to reek of urine, I freaked out. I'm not one of those people who just assume that the bathroom will stink no matter what. And after a little investigation and sniffing things out (literally) I discovered that not everyone has the same bathroom habits and expectations that I do - and that someone is a man that lives in this apartment. I'll leave it to you to figure out what man I'm talking about, but his first initial is O. And worse, after his friends and family members come over, the bathroom absolutely smells like a ketchpen after branding.

We've had several discussions about the choice of taking aim at the toilet, and actually having a good sit-down, and each time, he assured me that it wasn't HIM who missed the toilet. Well, guess what - there are only two of us living in this apartment, and I don't depend on my ability to make a good shot at the toilet. We talked about it today, again, and no headway was made. I just cleaned it at 11 am, and it already smells like somebody missed and shot the floor instead. Which he did. The fact is that "real" men are expectd to take aim on foot, and not shoot from close-up.

He has a need to be a "real" man. Hmm...smells like the men's room in here.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I really cannot imagine how I would handle such a disgusting position; I will be eternally indebted to my MIL, who insisted that the boys and men in her home SIT DOWN to pee! If my husband or son have a burning desire to stand up, they must go outside (we live in the country, thankfully!). I feel for you, and wish your life smelled sweeter....

Pondside said...

It's a habit I detest and put a stop to early on. Son and heir was taught that 'real men only stand up to take aim in the woods or at a urinal'. Big sympathy from here!

Anonymous said...

Oh heavens I mean that can pretty disgusting. Tell him the public health will be around. Or maybe the PH doesn't come around there.
QMM

marymaryquitecontrary said...

I would lock the bathroom door so only you could use it. O would have to find an alternative or agree to your rules.
I wanted to guide you to this blog http://annisknittingblog.blogspot.com/ I think you have a lot in common and you would enjoy reading it. I do hope so.

knittingdragonflies said...

I cannot understand why men can't aim better? What is the deal?
Again, proof that most men would still be peeing in the woods, had a women not insisted on indoor plumbing.
vicki