Aug 12, 2009

Just quickly...

Damn this day job! It interferes so much with my REAL life, my fiber life. Between a correspondence course on line, a presentation and class observation with another instructor, getting evaluated, and a full day of teaching, I'm not getting the proper quality time with my projects. Knitting with the mermaid blue/green/purple roving has become so addicting; just watching those gorgeous colors slip through my finger is mesmerizing. It's been quite an interesting experiment so far. I'm not advancing as fast as I'd like, partially due to a little vegetable matter (VM) that's cropping up as I split the roving and draft it out to the thickness that I want for knitting. And partially due to the fact that I spend a lot of time just staring at the colors and imagining that I'm in a clean, clear river in the mountains.

Septimus Heap is over for now. Wah. It was a fast and fun read, but now I have to wait to get the next volume until I go visiting Barnes & Noble when I go home next month. The SH series is a result of the Harry Potter craze, but these books are a little more gentle and less violent. Not that there's a lack of danger and adventure - there is plenty - but it's handled in a way that's more suited for a younger reader. So it focuses a little more on the fun aspect of the magical imagination than Harry Potter does. Things also take place outside of the walls of the castle, in the forest, in the Marsh, in the Badlands, and in the Ramblings, and things seem a little more verdant and fresh, and not so dark. Plus the characters are kind of different. The story is a little less sophisticated than Harry Potter, and so are the characters. I definitely recommend The Septimus Heap series if you want a fun, quick read! The good thing is that there doesn't seem to be an end to the series looming on the horizon.

And, speaking of going home, I really cannot wait to go! It's been 2 years since I've had a vacation, and I'm ready. It's been 2 years since I've spent much time at all out of the smog and car exhaust. I need a few lungfuls of clean country air, even if it's flavored with eau d' dairy cow, goat, or alpaca. Plus, I need some clothes. My work clothes are getting worn out and I seem to be too big to be able to find affordable clothing and footwear here. My tennis shoes have several holes in them now and the soles are so smooth that I get no traction at all with them.

*Sigh* It's time to get ready for work again. See you later.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I noticed the size thing when I was in Guadalajara last year; my shoe size was a rare and giant find! Now that I know my size in my new favorite brand (Keen), I've been prowling eBay in search of deals. I love shopping from home!

JC said...

Kathleen, I have missed you! I dont have a lot of time to devote to my blog anymore, but was so glad to see you had stopped by. I so hope you have a wonderful vacation, you deserve it..! This wonderful new kennel we found in the country, for the dogs when we can not take them with, is run by a Kathleen...so I think of you often. I know Celeste will miss you and I hope she does get to go next time. Take Care and be well. Jill

Pondside said...

Hi Kat - I know you're going to have a wonderful time on your home-holiday. As Dorothy said 'there's no place like home'!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

eau d' dairy cow - now that is a nice smell, to me al least :-)

knittingdragonflies said...

I know what you mean about the job interferring with everything else we want to do.
I am so excited for you to go home!
Vicki

Iron Needles said...

I bet you can't wait to get home. I have been loving the progress of your spinning and knitting. I have been living through others progress vicariously, not doing much besides dishclothes myself with all the bebe prep sewing going on.

My great aunt used to tell me, whenever I would turn my nose up at the smell of a farm, that that was the smell of money!

Margaret Cloud said...

Hope you do enjoy yourself when you go home. Are you taking Celeste with you? Also have fun shopping for shoes and clothes.